This is a delicious home-made loaf with pockets of molten Panela sugar at every turn. It can be great for a breakfast food along with butter or made into French toast. It would also be a delicious dessert along with raisins and orange zest or with nuts or other spices. You could also drizzle an icing sugar glaze over top. The options are endless!
Yield 4 servings
Prep Time 105 minutes
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1 cup panela/Nela (12 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Toss together the Panela and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Scald the milk and add the butter. Let cool a little.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk with 2 cups of flour and the salt. Stir in the dissolved yeast. Add more flour until the dough is no longer sticky but still quite soft. Knead for a couple minutes until the dough is smooth. Knead in the Panela and cinnamon.
- Cover the dough with a cloth and let rise until double.
- Dive the dough in half, shape into loaves, and place in greased loaf pans. Let the bread rise for 30 minutes, until not quite double in size.